Singapore – The Singapore Institute of Architects (SIA) recently announced the winners of the SIA Architectural Design Awards 2022, the industry’s most prestigious awards programme honouring the best projects that exemplify excellence in architectural design.
The 21st cycle of the Awards shone the spotlight on projects that demonstrated responsiveness to new design sensibilities, environmental sustainability and well-being for its users and inhabitants during the Covid times.
This year, two projects were named “Design of the Year”, the highest distinction in the Awards. A total of seven Design Awards and nine Merit Awards were selected from a shortlist of 23 projects by renowned firms and emerging practices alike, all of whom have presented outstanding design quality.
Ar. Melvin Tan, President of SIA and Awards Jury Chair commented: “This year, the jury felt strongly that it was deserving of a dual award for Design of the Year. MeyerHouse won the hearts of the jury with the skilful abstraction of complex residential development requirements to produce a deceptively simple form. We also want to commend A Brick & Mortar Shop for its sensitive and emotive design birthed with a controlled and simple palette. ”
The recipients of the SIA Architectural Design Awards 2022 are:
Design of The Year
- MeyerHouse by WOHA Architects Pte Ltd (Residential Projects)
- A Brick & Mortar Shop - a multi-label kitchen appliances shop by L Architects (Interior Architecture)
Category: Residential Projects
- Petit Jervois by RT+Q Architects Pte Ltd
- MeyerHouse by WOHA Architects Pte Ltd (Design of the Year)
- Raumplan House by Formwerkz Architects
- Outside In by HYLA Architects
- House of Trees by L Architects
- Alkaff CourtView & Alkaff LakeView by MKPL Architects Pte Ltd
Category: Institutional Projects
- The Hedberg by WOHA Architects Pte Ltd with LIMINAL Architecture
Category: Special Categories
- "Stop all the Clocks" Sanctuary Pet Crematorium by Formwerkz Architects
- A Scintillating Tapestry At 61 Robinson by Forum Architects Pte Ltd
- Additions and Alterations to St James Power Station by W Architects Pte Ltd
- The Temasek Shophouse by Surbana Jurong Consultants Pte Ltd
- Singapore Pavilion, World Expo 2020, Dubai by WOHA Architects Pte Ltd
- The Unfolding House by YY Architects with SKEW Collaborative and Pian Jian
Category: Interior Architecture
- GSK Asia House by Hassell
- A Brick & Mortar Shop - a multi-label kitchen appliances shop by L Architects (Design of the Year)
- Terrace Flat by Kaizen Architecture
The recipients of the Awards are reviewed by an independent jury of local and international industry professionals: Ar. Melvin Tan, President, Singapore Institute of Architects; Prof. Tai Lee Siang, Head of Pillar, Architecture and Sustainable Design, Singapore University of Technology and Design; Ar. Mok Wei Wei, Managing Director, W Architects Pte Ltd; Prof. Dr. Anupama Kundoo, Head, Anupama Kundoo Architects; and Ms. Kerstin Thompson, Principal, Kerstin Thompson Architects.
“As with the past years, we received a high standard of submissions, from small interior architecture to largescale complex buildings, for the 2022 edition of the SIA Architectural Design Awards,” said Ar. Melvin Tan. “The jury has noted an encouraging uptrend of design sensitivity, responses to our tropical climate and a keenness to designing and building sustainably. With so many great designs, it was kudos to the jury members, who poured in their heart and soul to deliberate the decisions and uphold the value of the highly regarded SIA Architectural Design Awards.”